Answered By: Alex Laing Last Updated: Jun 16, 2017 Views: 68
Answered By: Alex Laing
Last Updated: Jun 16, 2017 Views: 68
- Academic Search Premier – general full text journal article resource, good for most areas in art & design; frequently includes full colour illustrations.
- Arts & Humanities Full Text – gives full text access to journal articles on all aspects of art, design and fashion, also has illustrations.
- JSTOR – general full text academic journal article resource; very good for visual arts but can also be useful in other areas, e.g. architecture, graphic design, heritage. Black and white illustrations.
- Emerald Insight – business-based full text journal resource; useful for areas such as fashion, heritage, product design, design management, and the computer games industry.
- Architects’ Journal including AJ Buildings Library – combines the Architects’ Journal (the UK’s best-selling weekly architecture magazine) with a database of drawings from over 1,500 building projects.
- RIBA British Architectural Library Catalogue – indexes around 300 architecture journals, some of which are available in paper form in Clifford Whitworth Library.
- Business Source Premier – don’t be put off by the title – it is actually good for full text articles on design topics, including Computer & Video Games.
- British Pathe – digital news archive, enabling the viewing of Pathe news clips from 1896 to 1970; good for fashion and design history.
- British Standards Online – full text British and international standards.
- Greenfile – useful for ecological aspects of design; includes full text.
- Hospitality and Tourism Complete – references to journal articles for the tourism industry, including heritage material.
- IEEE Xplore – known as an electronics and engineering database, but contains many useful full text articles on technical aspects of art and design, e.g. product design, computer games, and animation.
- Leisuretourism.com – contains worldwide information on research and strategic development of leisure, recreation, sport, tourism and hospitality activities.
- LS:N Global – trend prediction for all areas of design, great for illustrations, articles and statistics.
- Nexis Business & News - contains full text coverage of major British and American national newspapers, as well as many local and regional newspapers from both countries. It also contains an extensive collection of other international news sources.The database has a 30-year archive, but individual publications may vary. It is very useful for articles on contemporary artists and designers, although there are no illustrations.
- Vogue (US) – searchable archive of the American Vogue magazine, from 1892 to the present day. Completely full text, great for fashion history and for illustrations.
- WGSN – Essential to the study of fashion, WGSN is the leading online trend-analysis and research service providing creative and business intelligence for the apparel, style, design and retail industries. Excellent for illustrations. (Please note – available on campus only).
For more information please see How can I find a subject database?