Answered By: Alex Laing Last Updated: Jan 18, 2017 Views: 20
Many of our IT services are available to use off campus. You can access them through the links on the Student Channel.
Your University webmail account can be accessed via the link on the Student Channel.
You will need your email address and password to log into your Student Mail account. These are located in the password.txt file in your Filestore on the F: drive (see below)
Important: All important University communication will be via your student webmail account. It is essential that you check this regularly.
Each student is allocated 1 Gigabyte of secure, personal file storage (known as your F: drive) which is backed-up daily. Save your files here to ensure they are safe.
You can access your filestore off-campus at any time by going to the IT Resources menu on the Student Channel and following the Filestore (F:\Drive link) to the Remote Access Portal.
You will need your network username and password to log in to this service.
As well as your Student Email account, Office 365 gives you access to a number of other useful services, including:
- OneDrive - 1 terabyte of personal file storage.
- Newsfeed - allows you to follow and converse with other Salford students.
- Office365 Video - a portal where you can post and view video content.
- Office Online - online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. In addition to these online versions you licensed to download, install and use the full Microsoft Office Application Suite - Microsoft Office ProPlus - on your personal Windows PC/laptop, and various subsets of the Application Suite on MACs and mobile devices.
For more information see the IT Services: Office 365 page.
Blackboard is the University of Salford’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). Within it you will find resources for your programmes and modules, including lecture notes and assignment details.
Access Blackboard through the link on the Student Channel. You will need your network username and password to log in to this service.
- E-submission: You will also use Blackboard to submit your assignments for assessment, either through the Blackboard Assignment Tool or Turnitin. You can find out more about Turnitin on the Library’s e-submission webpage.
Collaborate: If you are a distance learner you may have classes via Collaborate, which is a web-conferencing tool available in Blackboard. See the Library’s Collaborate page for more information.
Student Software Portal
The University’s software licenses enable students to install some software on their personally owned devices.
You can access the Student Software Portal and download software by going to the link on the IT Resources menu on the Student Channel (see above).
Student Self Help
You can reset your passwords for your Office365/University Email and IT Account, get a reminder of your Self Service Pin Number, access Office 365 and the Student Software Portal, and log faults and get help from My IT Desk through the IT Services’ Student Self Help website.
You may find it helpful, especially if you are a new student, to have a look at Computing Essentials on our Get Ahead package.
Click the image to start.