The following databases are recommended as starting points for your research:
- Fitch Connect - provides global bank financial data. The coverage includes data for over 30,00 active and inactive banks, including those from emerging markets. The database also includes Fitch current & historical ratings. You will need a unique username and password to use Fitch Connect - to request these you must use your university email account to contact email@example.com
- Business Source Premier - company profiles - More than 12, 000 global company profiles published by MarketLine. Each profile contains information about major employees, products and services, a company history, a list of competitors and they often contain revenue and SWOT analysis.
- DataStream - This database is not available on the network. It is available on a PC on the first floor of Clifford Whitworth - see a map here. DataStream is a global financial and macroeconomic database covering equities, stock market indices, currencies, company financials and key economic indicators. Coverage dates back to the 1960s. To use DataStream :
- Open Excel
- Click on the 'Datastream' tab in the Excel menu bar
- Select an option (eg. 'Time Series Request' or 'Static Request').
- Fill in the details in the request box.
- Fame - Company profiles including subsidiaries and directors, accounting and financial information, ratios and trends, shareholder details and latest company news for UK and Irish companies. Provides up to 10 years of data.
- Hoover's Online - Information on 88 million companies from more than 220 countries. It offers financial and executive details plus a description of activities. Interactive graphs and charts allow users to view company trends and compare with competitors.
- Osiris - Worldwide coverage and an archive of 30 years. Contains company financials, ratings, stock data and much more.
- Wind Financial Terminal - Provides the data and information on the Chinese financial market, covering stocks, bonds, funds, indices, warrants, commodity futures, foreign exchanges, and the macro industry, for securities analysts, fund managers and other financial professionals.
- This resource is available to members of Salford Business School only.
- This database is not available on the network. You can use it in Group Room 5 which is locatedon the ground floor in Clifford Whitworth.
- Click on the icon on the desktop
- Enter the username and password available here.
- Zephyr - Mergers & acquisitions (M&A) deals. Includes Initial Public Offering (IPO), private equity and venture capital deals and rumours. Also includes summary financials for companies.
All these databases may be accessed through the Library's Resources page.
For more information please see How can I find a subject database?